So you are a role-player? Fantastic! Finding a good home isn't a very easy task for those more interested in lore and immersion than hard core PvE grinding, mechanics, and PvP. The good news is this is a home for you and you will fit in perfectly here. Please be sure to read both the F.A.Q. and our RP rules before partaking in Penumbral Roleplay.
PENUMBRAL RP F.A.Q.
1. What is role-play?
Truly the term has many definitions. But our interpretation of role-play is when a person seeks to immerse themselves into the MMO world they are playing in and tries to see the world, their actions, and the actions of others through their character's eyes.
2. Is Role-Play supported/required in Penumbral?
Role-Play is 'supported' in Penumbral, but not required. We have a rich lore in which we built this guild around. We did this to further enhance the game play of our role-players. Despite this, you are by no means required to partake in that. If you're main goal is to kill everyone and loot ALL the things, that's great. Some folks may want to do some RP on some days and on others go kill stuff. Some folks may only want to RP. Whatever your case may be, it's accepted here. We take a very strong stance on making sure our members are happy in whatever they are interested in.
3. What is the story behind Penumbral?
Penumbral, which means " partial shadow, as in an eclipse, between regions of complete shadow and complete illumination" is a guild of bounty hunters, exiles, avengers and tyrants. Our members, if they choose to participate in the storyline, are people who have joined our organization to achieve greater power and oppose both the Empire and the Republic. They wander the galaxy looking for a save haven that will offer them security and power in the force and stumble upon us. We offer them training, power, strength, and the tolls for revenge.
The bigger picture in Penumbral's goal is to form an organization with a singular goal, OPPOSITION. Prior to the invasion of the Zakuul Empire, the organization saw both the Empire and the Republic destroying the galaxy and tearing a part what order that may still exist. Possessing members who have stood on both side lines of the War, our society was based upon remaining neutral. We stood in the shadows awaiting the perfect moment to strike and steer both sides away from winning to maintain BALANCE. Now, during the Eternal Empire's reign of chaos over the Galaxy, Penumbral has shifted its focus to assisting the cause and has joined the Outlander's Alliance. Through small strike forces and hit and run tactics, Penumbral is on the run from the Zakuul, opposing them at every turn while also trying to survive the incredibly power the Eternal Empire can unleash.
For more information regarding Penumbral's Lore and History you can see Penumbral's wikipage here.
4. What else does Penumbral offer to enhance role-play and immersion?
Penumbral is a game in and of itself. This guild is chalked full of extremely creative individuals. These individuals often like to write storylines and thus create guild role-play events. Be it pure RP, or PvP. We also possess artists who take RP to the next level when given the chance.
5. I'm more into writing stories and such about my character. Can we do that?
Absolutely. We have an entire story section for that on our forums. We also have an art section. Our hope is as we grow larger, we'll get more people interested in those aspects of this community and they will fill those sections up with stories, art, and so on.
6. I'd like to assist in writing stories or creating events for the guild. Is this possible?
Of course. We are happy to listen to your stories and ideas within reason. If you have an idea for an RP event on off nights or in-between storylines, feel free to talk to Luniara or an RP officer. We expect you to follow guild RP rules and remain in the jurisdiction of Penumbral lore. Penumbral also possesses a DM/Story Writer position for those individuals who would like to volunteer their time and effort to helping move along guild storylines. Anyone is allowed to apply after becoming a full-fledged member!
7. Certain situations (violence, rape, etc.) make me uncomfortable and emotional in Roleplay. What do I do if this happens?
Should you find yourself in a RP situation or witness a fellow RPer engaging in a type of roleplay that makes you uncomfortable, we ask that you immediately whisper that individual and inform them that you are uncomfortable in a polite manner so you both may come to an agreement on a solution. Penumbral allows adult-oriented RP within reason, but we all must understand that communication is key.
PENUMBRAL RP RULES & PROTOCAL
- NO Meta-Gaming or God-Moding under ANY circumstances. Bringing OOC knowledge into an IC situation is prohibited ( e.g. knowing that a character really likes ice cream, when it has never been mentioned, and your character has no basis for knowing this fact.) When a character does something they are not capable of/do not have permission to do to another character or automatically succeeding with an interaction, e.g. moving another character by stating they are somewhere they are not without the other player's permission, landing a punch to the throat causing them to choke. We will not tolerate this behavior. If you are unsure of this rule, feel free to ask an RP officer.
- NO PvP combat or dueling during online RP events including socials (unless otherwise stated).If you plan on dueling with a friend, please take it outside of a cantina or in logical areas. IF during the social you wish to duel or are challenged take it outside the Cantina. If you witness a guild member violating this report him/her to the RP officer preferably with a screenshot or names of others who had been there and seen the same thing.
- NO over powered back stories.For those who already have what would be considered an OP backstory, we will work with you to ensure your character meets standards. For those making a new character and if they wish this character to participate in guild events; they cannot start out as some sort of legendary Sith Warrior or Jedi. The character must possess an original backstory. Under any circumstances can you use the SWTOR class storylines. Those are the property of BW and are part of official Star Wars lore. Same as Revan or even Darth Vader. You can play as them in games but you can’t create a character with the same storyline as them and call it your own.
- NO partaking in ERP outside of your personal whispers or group.We understand that relationships are often a crucial part of RP and won't inhibit passionate relationships between characters. Kissing, hugging, affection IS tolerated but to a respectful degree. Lets not get caught with our pants down, okay? Under no circumstances should Roleplayers act in such a manner that marks Penumbral as a low quality/trashy/ERP guild.
- NO basing a character based off of a BW character storyline.No, you can not be Revan's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate. Please also keep in mind that if you plan on using your companions in your storyline, AT LEAST rename them.
- NO crashing/Trolling RP events or interrupting other RPs. Unless it is random and casual roleplaying, story driven roleplay events are often not easy to create and even more complex to organize and lead. Crashing a guild RP that has already began which you know nothing about and has already been explained on the forums or at the beginning will result first with a warning. If it keeps occurring punishments will be brought forth. If it STILL occurs... said member will be suspended from online guild RP events for thirty days. This also accounts for crashing other RPs be they run by another Imperial guild or an enemy Republic guild. Roleplaying events are about story, not world PvP. Often times, members will be immersed in their own storylines. If you are planning on stealthing in-character, please be advised you must inform the other party. You may be subjected to rolls if they are not okay with you getting away with it. If you unsure on whether you can join, feel free to PM those members or an officer.
- NO OOC peer pressure in any event. This speaks for itself... respect other member's stories, personal space and time.
- RP combat in Penumbral will be D20 roll based (unless decided differently by the members involved). We possess a roll system, located here, created to ensure those who have put forth the effort and work into the guild are rewarded. Tutorials are given for those new to the system and suggestions are also always welcomed. When not involved in a guild related event or RP, you are not obligated to use the roll system.
- NO over the top names. In naming characters we will be more lenient and forgiving but will not allow anything offensive or over the top ridiculous in the SW universe. Poor examples would be: DarthButtkiss, xXRoxyChick23Xx, Aneykin, BadtouchMcgee. If you plan to RP, these will not be tolerated, nor will they be if you are already a member and trying to get an alt invited.
- While deception and power plays are forbidden out of character, in character during RP events and storylines they ARE acceptable. This is an Imperial guild and while we are accepting of neutral and more LS characters we are still largely Sith. And while such acts are acceptable they are very much high risk high reward. If you are successful the results could be very beneficial for your character. If you fail your character can face severe repercussions. With the exception of killing the guilty character or permanently mutilating them there are virtually no limits to the extremities of the punishment.
- NO adding of ships, guild assets or mass NPC characters without prior permission.As Penumbral is a Fleet based organization Role Playing members may show interest in adding a major ship to the Fleet. They are welcome to add their own personal starship but anything above that class must be approved by the RP department first. This goes for all members regardless of rank. There are no exceptions.